The Godzilla franchise has been pretty campy over the years. Although the series has some serious, tragic roots, the majority of the films fall under the B-Movie category. When the franchise was rebooted in the States with Gareth Edwards’ 2014 Godzilla, it seemed as though we may be getting a more poetic, artful Godzilla once again. But despite receiving positive reviews from critics, Edwards’ Godzilla did not perform overwhelmingly at the box office, thus leading to the big, dumb, Godzilla: King of the Monsters which premiered this past weekend.
King of the Monsters is by no means a good movie. It’s barely coherent, and even the monster moments feel disjointed and unclear. But although it’s idiotic, the Godzilla sequel is fun as hell. Seeing many of the beloved monsters from the franchise’s lore in stunning IMAX is a dream (or nightmare) come true.
Though the film fulfills many of our carnal pleasures, it also leaves a lot of loose ends. Here are 20 questions we had after watching Michael Dougherty’s insane sequel:
1. Countless Titans emerge from the depths after King Ghidorah claims his throne as Alpha Kaiju. But where the fuck was King Kong?
2. Were Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olson not bankable enough to return for this film?
3. How many times did Ken Watanabe gaze up at the sky and say “Godzilla” melodramatically?
4. Where was this whole Monarch squad during the events of the previous film?
5. Is Mothra the only woman monster? Seems a bit sexist (and unrealistic) if you ask me…
6. Early in the film, Godzilla is nearly killed by a bomb. But later on, he is restored back to health by a nuke. How can both be true for this creature?
7. There were allegedly 17 Titans crawling the Earth in this film. But we only saw 4 of them bow to Godzilla in the end. Where were the others?
8. Who the fuck was that Wooly Mammoth titan thing?
9. Didn’t Godzilla kill all the MUTOs in the last film?
10. Why was Bradley Whitford so horny the whole time?
11. One of the most pivotal narrative moments in the film happens when Millie Bobby Brown’s character steals the so-called “Orca” device from the military base. But she just scoops it up off a table. No one was even watching it. Why wasn’t anyone even watching it?!
12. So did Vera Farmiga just want everyone in the world to die so the monsters could come reclaim the earth?
13. Barely anyone in this film wore any protective radiation suits whilst hanging around these nuclear demons. Are they all going to be absolutely riddled with cancer in the next film?
14. Did Godzilla eat all of Ghidorah in the end? Is that even possible that he’d fit in his tummy?
15. Are Godzilla and Mothra actually fucking like Bradley Whitford said?
16. At one point Bradley Whitford says, “I record everything.” Is that a sex thing? That’s a sex thing, right?
17. When are we getting Gigan?!
18. The movie ends with the crew saying Godzilla is our benevolent protector “For now.” Does that mean he’s going to be a bad guy in the next one?
19. The post-credits scene shows the eco-terrorist crew finding and purchasing a Ghidorah head. Might we see Mecha-Ghidorah in the sequel?
20. What would it be like if Godzilla was in First Reformed?